Monday, December 29, 2014

Making Lemonade

There's a Chinese proverb that it's better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.  It's one of my favorites.  As a photographer I curse a lot -- usually because what I had hoped to be a great shot possibility fizzled.  A "Black Friday weekend" trip to Seattle and Portland pretty much handed me a bunch of lemons in terms of photo opportunities.  A lot of heavy rain and localized flooding.

So, what do you do when you're handed a bunch of lemons?  Make lemonade, if you can!

North Falls, Silver Falls State Park, Oregon
Fujifilm X-E1 and 50-200mm lens.

It was a challenge to keep the camera and lens dry enough to record an image successfully.  Only a few attempts were worth it.  This was one of them.

On my way back to Seattle the weather cleared and I headed for Tumwater Falls, a privately owned park with a waterfall.  Too late.  Gates closed.  But as I drove away I saw golden light on the Washington State Capitol in Olympia.  Eureka!

Washington State Capitol, Olympia, WA
Fujifilm X-E1 and 50-200mm lens

Neither of these above images were the photographs I thought I would be shooting that day.  In life, as well as photography, you will be handed lemons.  Are you going to complain of thirst or make lemonade?

No comments:

Post a Comment