Monday, June 8, 2015

Patience: A Virtue I Wish I Had More Of

Photography is often an instruction manual for life skills.  Patience is one of them.  Sometimes I wish I had more of it.

Much of the time photographers must react quickly because of logistics.  The shot might not be there if you wait or safety or weather concerns narrow the window of safe opportunity.
Blackwater Falls, West Virginia
Fufifilm X-E2,, ISO 200, 16-55mm @ 34mm, 10 sec. @ f/16

This winter shot of Blackwater Falls was a quick study because of weather and safety conditions.  Icy conditions left only a portion of the trail open thus restricting the view.  So I had to make the best of what I was handed at the moment.

Sometimes, though, waiting and having faith that there will be a better opportunity is the best course of action.  Such was the case this winter when I waited for a sunset opportunity at Montara Beach at Half Moon Bay south of San Francisco.

Pacific Ocean at Montara Beach, California
Fujifilm X-E1, ISO 200, 55-200mm @ 86mm, f/16 @ 5 sec.


I wasn't sure if it was possible to come back with a good image given the conditions and the logistics but, again, I tried to make the best of the situation.  This was also true in April when I was searching for a good sunset opportunity in the Seattle area which isn't always an easy task.

I wound up south of the airport at the waterfront not far from Anthony's Restaurant in Des Moines, Washington.  The area was crowded but as the sun was going down few people remained.  Those who did were rewarded for their patience.

Puget Sound, Des Moines, Washington
Fujifilm X-E1, ISO 200, 55-200mm@ 172mm, f/16 @ 2.5 sec.

I am often one of the least patient people in the world.  But there are times when I have to wait and have faith that the wait will be worth it.  It usually is.



No comments:

Post a Comment